Thursday, December 11, 2008

motherly love...



ask anyone in my family. growing up, when someone was sick, you could say i kept my distance. and if you had a stomach virus, i pretty much avoided you for a week until i was sure all germs were good and dead. i was not exactly the most sympathetic sister to those who were vomiting. you can say it is a phobia of mine. i truly think it is the worst. i would even occasionally follow the poor patient around with a can of lysol to ensure they weren't tracking germs through the house. i've even been told by a few of my siblings that i really hurt their feelings when they were sick (for which i am terribly sorry!) and it is pretty amazing that i became a nurse since i've known this phobia all along.

i remember being amazed by my mom as she would care for us so tenderly as we were in misery all night long. she never got upset when we would puke right into her bed or when huge messes were made. she just let us know we would be ok and stayed by our side. i also remember telling her that i would never be able to do that when i had a child of my own... it was just too gross.

well, lily got her first case of the vomits in the middle of the night last night. and i have to say, my hands did get clammy and my heart was racing as my mind was thinking "she's so highly contagious!!" but then, my heart broke so painfully for my poor little one who did not understand what was going on and was just miserable. i held her all night and when things finally calmed down and she was able to fall asleep in my arms, i found myself thinking, "this is the best feeling in the world." let me tell you, the love of a parent is unbelievably strong...

now here's to hoping i stay well! :)

2 comments:

the hammocks said...

oh dear! poor lily. give her a snuggle from the hammocks please. court, you are one of the best moms i know (phobias and all)!!

Ashley said...

What? No photos with this one? It might be time to break out the Lysol.